- Golan v gawad, scrappiest games if squash I have ever seen
- Bookmakers anticipate two-horse race for 2020 bid sports http://t.co/M7e5tAACDH via @vote4squash
- number 2 seed in singles and doubles in belgium, singles looks tough but hopefully doubles can do some damage!
- KOR Draw http://t.co/GEGgJdsSeB Just for you D RIDOUT #surrey2014
- Football crowd at hull city squash open...cold weather and even some woolly hats. #alwayscoldupnorth #squashchants
- Ghosal wins the 2nd and giving gaultier a real run for his money
- @SquashSite great shot through the legs by ghosal! Did you see that!?! Not sure about gregs beard...
- I will wollop the German at TT but believe squash and tennis in particular will be extremely tough...let's have a bash..sort my fitness out
- #KOR #racketlon my draw sucks! Oliver Zwiers likely 2nd round opponent, ok he is old, but pretty good from memory....tough test...
- peter doook v martin bjokryd, belgian hero against swedish table tennis king....bye bye dook?
- Follow On Twitter
|Monday, 28 May 2012 11:10|
Manchester Open 2012 - Podium - Results - Report - Photos
Congratulations to the following winners on a very sunny and tiring day at The Northern, and the other trophy awardees on the podium:
Full results may be viewed at Manchester Open 2012 Results
The first Manchester Racketlon Open took place at the Northern Tennis club on May 27th. There were 5 entry categories with Mens A, Mens B, Mens C and Mens veterans events as well as Women’s A Event.
In scorching temperatures the each round was fiercely competed. Tennis in particular was of a very high standard with participants inspired by the glorious grass courts.
In the women’s event Northern Members Hollie Bees, Lisa Pilkington, Nadine Cull, Jun Zhang and Fon Walker all made their Racketlon debuts. Each with a different specialist sport they pit their wits against the more established Racketlon players. Experience won through in the end with Barbara Capper taking first place, following up on her victory in the British Open in what is only her second event. Rebecca Thomas improved on her 3rd place at the British Open with a 2nd place finish with Northern member Rachel Branagan taking 3rd.
In the Mens A Event, Racketlon debutant Jonny Shacklady from Bolton beat David Thomas (2nd), Phil Todd (3rd) and Gary Lowe to take first place, with excellent performances in tennis, badminton and squash, not losing in any.
In the Mens B Singles Kevin Lewis travelling over from Palmerston Tennis Club in Liverpool improved on his Blackburn Open semi final to win the event, beating Dinesh Passi and Alex Du Noyer into 2nd and 3rd Place respectively. Beware the A category!
The Mens C event was won by Stuart Bell beating local player David Barker into second with Daniel Kirkpatrick coming third. Stuart was later seen with the packaging from the Mens A trophy – maybe next year?
The final category was the Mens Veterans with Northern member Rick Ainley-Walker just closing out Chesterfield’s Malcolm Bramley in a closely fought final. Phil Bennett matched his 3rd place at the British Open with a 3rd place finish in Manchester. A mention should also go to Ian Evans possibly the best supported participant on the day having made the short trip from Chorlton to make his Racketlon debut.
The awards were rounded off with special mentions for the two happiest competitors on the day Jun Zhang and Fon Walker. If you think these smiles are big you should have see them playing!
It was a great tournament and The Northern looks forward to hosting the Manchester Open again next year.